CQG Products for Microsoft Excel® Users

CQG supports Microsoft’s RTD technology. This technology uses a dynamic link library (DLL) to connect Excel to CQG Integrated Client and to CQG QTrader to pull into Excel market data, different chart type data, study data, orders and positions data and depth-of-market data, all in real-time. This feature offers to customers the ability to develop their own dashboards designed to their specific requirements and much more.

CQG has a blog tailored for CQG and Excel users. I am the author of this blog. On a regular basis I post articles to help our customers make the most out of using CQG and Excel.

To date, I have written over 220 posts. As, I can track when someone downloads a sample spreadsheet or a turnkey dashboard I have built for a specific market I am happy to say that there have been more 20,000 downloads.

The posts breakdown into two different types: There are the educational “How to” with a downloadable Excel sample with the RTD formulas available within each post. These are often driven by a customer’s request, such as how do I pull in historical volume and open interest data to Excel. I respond to their request and then I write a post to share with the CQG/Excel community. I am creating a CQG Excel Knowledge Base.

I have written over fifty “How To” posts. Topics range from pulling in data by date and time to using custom session in RTD formulas. In addition, there is a keyword searchable index. Perhaps, you would like to pull correlation values into Excel from CQG. There is no reason to pull in the raw data into Excel and have Excel calculate the correlation. Correlation is a CQG study. Simply go to the searchable index, enter in the word correlation and you will see a list of posts with the word correlation in the title.

The second type of posts are turnkey Excel dashboards. Simply download and launch from Excel. Many of these posts are targeted for specific traders in specific markets. For example, energy traders have a number of forward curve dashboards for outright deliveries, as well as calendar spread dashboards. Fixed income traders have yield curve dashboards and STIRS Roll dashboards. Equity traders will find numerous dashboards that break down the internal constituents of popular Index ETFs detailing the top and bottom 15 constituents within the ETF. In addition, these dashboards include links to finance.yahoo.com for the latest news. The turnkey dashboards are CQG’s property and are not available in an unlocked state.

For me, the primary reason for using Excel Dashboards is the Data Visualization features available in Excel. Excel offers heat mapping and data histogram bars to highlight the extreme movers in the markets. Excel takes my eyes right to the extreme movers. I do not have to scan a column of data, such as net percent change and do any math in my head.

In addition, Excel offers chart types not available in CQG, such as scatter gram and frequency distribution charts. And, charts can use dynamic ranking. Excel can rank, sort and deliver a list of markets with top and bottom performers sorted on the screen. For example, would you like to see a breakdown of the stocks in the Dow Jones Industrial Average based on performance. That is precisely what this dashboard does.

So, whether you want to design your own Excel dashboards or take advantage of over 150 downloadable turnkey dashboards available, then check out CQG’s web site. Take advantage of the power of partnering CQG and Excel.